Losing weight requires dedication, a healthy diet plan, and regular exercise. If you want to lose weight for a particular occasion or if you want to look good in a bikini the key is to create a calorie deficit diet plan. This means that you need to take in fewer calories and burn a lot more. You can do this with a combination of exercise and diet.
When you go on a diet, you decrease your calorie intake, so your body doesn’t generate more fat and by exercising you burn all the fat that you have accumulated over the years. Exercise and healthy foods also increase the metabolism so your body can burn more calories. So, you want to know how to lose 20 pounds? Follow the steps below.
How to lose 20 pounds?
If you want to lose weight the first change that you have to make is in your diet. Learn about the kind of foods that you should and shouldn’t eat and choose a type of exercise that you enjoy.
Stay away from foods that decrease your metabolism:
There are three types of foods that you should avoid when you are on a diet because they can undermine your weight loss efforts.
- Sugary foods: Foods that have sugar added to them are the leading cause of weight gain. All sugars present in foods in the form of brown sugar, corn syrup, fructose, dextrose, juice concentrate, raw sugar and maltodextrin decrease your metabolism and hinder the process of weight loss. Even foods that we think of as health foods such as granola bars, fruit juices, protein bars and salad dressings contain sugar and are a source of weight gain. The best thing is to eliminate all these sugars and replace them with natural sweeteners like honey and green stevia. Excess of these natural sweeteners is also not advised, and they should be taken in moderation.
- Whole grains: Grains contain starch, gluten, and phytic acid which are not good for your metabolism. Starch turns into sugar; gluten causes inflammation, and phytic acids are a nuisance to minerals that your body needs. You should keep away from white bread and pasta if you want to lose weight. Increase your vegetable and fruit intake as they contain complex carbs that are digested slowly and help you feel full for longer throughout the day. Use coconut flour instead of white flour because coconut flour helps in fat loss.
- Canola or vegetable oils: Vegetable or canola oils cause unwanted body fat. They are high in calories and cause cellular toxicity and inflammation throughout your body. If you are determined to do away with your extra weight, then you should replace these vegetable oils with coconut oil which increases your metabolism and helps in rapid weight loss.
Include these fat burning foods in your diet:
The top 4 foods that increase your metabolism and aid in weight loss are:
- Wild proteins: Proteins assist in building muscles which are essential for a healthy metabolism. If you want to get rid of fat, you will need to eat a lot of proteins. The body will not store protein as fat but will use it as a nutrient to help burn fat. Organic chicken, grass-fed beef, wild-caught fish, free-range eggs, venison, lamb, and bone broth are all healthy foods rich in proteins and should be a part of your everyday diet.
- Coconut: Coconut is high in MCFA (medium chain fatty acids) which is a type of healthy fat. This fat is good for the body because your body can burn it quickly to gain energy. If you want to lose weight, you will have to replace all the different oils and fats with coconut oil which is great for weight loss. In addition to using coconut oil for cooking, you can use coconut milk to make smoothies and replace regular flour with coconut flour for baking.
- Sprouted seeds: Sprouted seeds like chia seeds, flax seeds, and hemp seeds are rich in fiber that helps in weight loss. They are also high in omega-3 fats and protein which are helpful in increasing your metabolism. You can use these seeds for baking and to make smoothies.
- Nutrient-Dense vegetables: If you want to lose weight you shouldn’t only be aware of the calories you’re taking but you should also try to eat more nutrients. Make raw vegetables an essential part of your diet because they are not only high in minerals and vitamins, but they also regulate your metabolism and support organs such as thyroid. Green vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, kale, cabbage, asparagus, cauliflower, and carrots are all examples of vegetables that are high in nutrients and help to support your weight loss regime. you may like to read Best foods for weight loss.
Sample meal plan for one day:
Below is a sample meal plan that provides you with suggestions about what you should for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This program not only keeps a check on calories but also provides the body with all the essential vitamins and nutrients.
- Breakfast: For breakfast, you can make a coconut berry smoothie. To make a coconut berry smoothie you will need coconut milk 1/4th cup, berries 1 cup, grass fed protein one scoop, sprouted flax meal one tablespoon, and cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon. Mix all the ingredients and enjoy a healthy smoothie.
- Lunch: For lunch, you can fix yourself a Greek salad. The ingredients for this salad are one chicken breast sliced, spinach 1 cup, cucumber sliced 1/4 cup, sliced tomato 1/2, goat cheese 1 ounce, olive oil one tablespoon, and apple cider vinegar one tablespoon. Toss all these ingredients in a bowl. Your healthy and nutritious salad is ready.
- Dinner: for dinner, you can eat 6-8 ounces of organic meat from salmon, chicken, or bison. You can cook it in coconut oil and have one serving of sautéed broccoli and one serving of sautéed kale alongside it.
Exercise regularly to lose weight:
Burst training and Tabata training are two of the best types of exercises to lose belly fat fast. These exercises increase your metabolism and help you lose weight three to nine times more than the traditional cardio exercises. Another advantage of burst training and Tabata training is that they cause an after burn effect in your body which means that you keep burning fat even after 36 hours of your workout. For best results, these exercises should be done for 20 to 40 minutes about three or four times a week.
Add 30 more minutes to your sleep:
People looking for an answer about how to lose 20 pounds might not know the significance of sleep. If you sleep for 8 or 5 hours, add an extra half hour to your total sleep. This additional time will refresh you and help you make better food choices. You will not need sugar for breakfast to give you that extra energy; you will not feel lethargic and skip on your regular exercise, and it will also boost your metabolism. Your body builds muscle while sleeping so this extra half hour will also give you a better muscle tone.
Try to cut down on fried foods:
You should try to cut down on at least one indulgence. You should either leave dessert after dinner or sacrifice in between snacks to cut down on calories. If you make one food sacrifice, you will see a significant change in your body.
Eat salmon for lunch:
Salmon is excellent for the body because it is high in nutrients which build muscle tone and give the skin a healthy glow. Eating salmon for lunch will not only help you get a more contoured look but will also help you reduce weight.
Do sit-ups and squats:
Sit-ups and squats are great exercises to add definition to your muscles and to get defined muscle tone. You should do three sets of 12 of these exercises to tighten and tone your glutes, abs, and legs.
Take an anti-gas pill:
Anti-gas pills are easily available at drugstores. They can make your tummy appear flat by relieving the bloating in your abdomen. When you take this chewable tablet, it breaks up the gas bubbles in your digestive system making your stomach appear flat. Get rid of gas bubbles will also help you lose weight.
Take fish oil regularly:
Fish oil is full of omega-3 fatty acids which are crucial for your body. It supports muscle buildup and reduces inflammation. Daily use of fish oil helps to balance hormones and provide essential vitamins to the body. It also contributes to reducing weight by burning fat fast.
Weight loss is determined by 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. If you eat healthily and exercise regularly, you will lose weight. Whenever you follow a diet plan, make sure that you are eating all the essential vitamins and nutrients so that you do not feel weak. Make sure that you eat your meals at the right time, for example; you should eat dinner early so that you do not experience belly bloating.
Exercise is also crucial to bring your body into shape. It is necessary to follow the correct form so that you do not hurt yourself and only target the areas of your body that are out of shape. The most important thing to remember is that you can’t get rid of all the accumulated fat overnight. You will have to work to get your body into shape. It is all worth it because when you achieve your goal, you will be proud of yourself.
So if you were wondering about how to lose 20 pounds, well now you know!